Achieving Better Gum Health
When you don’t take care of your gums, it can lead to the development of gum disease. Gum disease occurs when plaque builds up under and around the gum line. Patients with gum disease may experience symptoms like halitosis, shifting teeth, bleeding or swollen gums, receding gum line, and in advanced cases, tooth loss.
In the earliest stage of gum disease, your dentist may be able to reverse the effects of the infection because the infection hasn’t impacted the bone or connective tissue. As gingivitis progresses into periodontitis, the bone and connective tissue are compromised and may lead to shifting teeth and tooth loss.
The good news is that gum disease is preventable with proper dental care and maintenance. The goal is to catch gum disease early or prevent gum disease altogether. Here are some key tips to improve your gum health.
Tips To Improve Your Gum Health
- Make sure you floss your teeth at least once a day.
- Make sure you schedule routine dental cleanings.
- Brush your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes a day.
- Schedule preventive care visits to Union Square Dental Group.
- Use an ADA approved mouthwash to get rid of unwanted bacteria and debris.
- Quit smoking and tobacco use.
Schedule An Appointment
If you need to schedule a dental check-up or have any questions regarding your gum health, contact Union Square Dental Group. To schedule an appointment, patients can contact our San Francisco dental office or schedule an appointment online.